The mission of Spire ZooSchool at the Birmingham Zoo is to reach Birmingham City Schools’ 7th-grade students through innovative, hands-on, standards-based curriculum and establish a framework enabling them to explore human impacts on the natural world, the role of conservation organizations, and how students’ choices and voices will affect the future of our planet. The ZooSchool program presents content in a relevant, experiential manner that promotes curiosity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Every student who attends Spire ZooSchool should leave the program with the following understandings:
- The Birmingham Zoo is a conversation organization that strives to achieve its mission to Inspire Passion to Conserve the Natural World.
- Zoos and other conservation organizations offer a wide variety of careers that students can attain by taking specific steps in school.
- Individuals can have an impact on local and global ecosystems and can take small steps toward a large influence in conservation.
- Interactions among organisms, populations, and their environment have wide reaching implications.
A Week of Spire ZooSchool
Throughout the week, attendees focus on the natural world on a local and global scale. The program covers topics such as : poaching, habitat destruction, availability of potable water and keystone species and their impacts on an ecosystem. Through observation, demonstrations and teacher led discussions, students analyze gain a better understanding of real-life examples of life-science concepts learned in the classroom.
You can support Spire ZooSchool with a gift today!
- $43 Amount needed to sponsor a child for one day of Spire ZooSchool
- $217 Amount needed to sponsor a child for one week of Spire ZooSchool
- $500 Amount needed to sponsor entire Spire ZooSchool session
Please click HERE to make your gift.
2020–2021 Spire ZooSchool Donors
Housing Affordability Trust
James Milton and Sallie R. Johnson Foundation
Charles and Estelle Campbell Foundation
Leon Aland Family Foundation
Honda Manufacturing of Alabama, LLC
Kinder Morgan Foundation
Lee Bruno Foundation
Redmont Park Historic District Foundation
Susan Mott Webb Charitable Trust
Concepts & Associates
Children’s of Alabama