Please read carefully before planning your visit.
Red Diamond Express Train
Protective Life Carousel
*Martin Luther King Jr Holiday on Monday, Jan. 18
Zoo OPEN 9am – 4pm
Rides OPEN 10am – 3pm
Days Wednesday – Sunday
Time 10:00am – 3:00pm
- Train & Carousel are open and operating Wednesday through Sunday from 10am until 3pm
- All rides are weather dependent
- Full Moon Wild Slide and Splash Pads are closed
- Last Ride time is fifteen (15) minutes before the Zoo closes
- Ride tickets and wristbands are for daytime operation only and are not valid for special events.
- One ticket or wristband per person per ride, ages 2 years and up.
- Children under 2 years old must be accompanied by a paying adult on the train and carousel.
- Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by a paying adult chaperone on the train.
- Limited Capacity & Cleaning The train and carousel will be operating at limited capacity to ensure riders are at safe distance from one another. In addition, the train and carousel will be thoroughly disinfected and cleaned after each ride.
- PLEASE NOTE Ride tickets and wristbands are non-refundable but are date-transferable up to one year after purchase date. Zoo Discounts for rides cannot be combined with any additional coupons, specials, or offers
- ACCEPTED PAYMENT Credit/Debit card will be the only accepted form of payment. Cash will NOT be accepted to buy tickets, food, or merchandise.
Health & Safety Protocols
- All Visitors & Members over the age of six (6) to the Birmingham Zoo will be required to wear face coverings for the protection of other guests, our staff, and our animals
- Children under six (6) years old are not required to wear face coverings
- Zoo Staff are required to wear face coverings and maintain other heightened safety protocols
WHY? In accordance with State of Alabama ordinance mandating the wearing of face coverings in public places, the Birmingham Zoo supports efforts to reduce the spread of the novel coronavirus, and we recognize that the best way to prevent the COVID-19 illness is to avoid exposure to the virus. The Birmingham Zoo follows, and expects our guests and members to follow, all applicable government ordinances and we will adjust operational plans accordingly. *Visitors can purchase face coverings at each ticket booth and gift shop kiosks near the exit.* View State of Alabama face covering ordinance, HERE
- Entrance All guests and members will enter through the front gate
- Exit All guests and members will be required to exit through the Children’s Zoo gate
- NO Re-entry Guests and members will NOT be allowed to reenter the Zoo after exiting
- Capacity The Zoo will have strict limits on attendance
- One-way Traffic Flow Visitors will follow a one-way directional path through the Zoo from entry to exit
- Ground Markers Directional and distancing markers will guide guests on a one-way path through the Zoo
- Signage and other measures will remind visitors of safe & healthy practices and to follow social distancing guidelines
- ZOO MAP Download a copy of our one-way path map of the Zoo, here
- Hand Sanitizing Stations have been installed throughout the Zoo and made readily accessible
- Sanitation Procedures The Zoo has enhanced our rigorous sanitation protocols and cleaning standards to ensure that all facilities will be thoroughly disinfected
- High-touch Areas Staff will be routinely cleaning all surfaces and public areas, such as: handrails, viewing glass, door handles, sensory room, and restrooms
- Feeling Sick? The Zoo continues to follow the current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines by asking staff and guests to stay home if they are sick or feel sick. We are also encouraging respiratory etiquette, hand hygiene, requiring face masks, and maintaining other heightened safety protocols