Get wildly connected at the Birmingham Zoo with our Behind-the-Scenes Encounters! You can get close to and meet our animals, all while learning from the Zoo’s expert Animal Care Professionals. Encounters include a tour of behind-the-scenes animal areas, time to ask the experts any questions you have, and more. These experiences can only be had at the Birmingham Zoo and will build memories that last a lifetime!
WHAT TO KNOW
- Ages 5 and up are welcome on all Behind the Scenes Encounters. Guests 12 and under must be accompanied by a paying adult.
- Registration for any Animal Encounter ends 1 hour prior to the beginning of the encounter.
- Please wear PPE shoes for your safety.
- If you have any questions about Animal Encounter requirements, please contact our Education department at email@example.com or by calling 205-397-3877.
- All tours will meet at the front entrance starting 15 minutes before tour time.
PLEASE NOTE Experiences may be changed or cancelled in order to maintain the health and well-being of our animals–our main focus at the Birmingham Zoo. Any tours that are cancelled will be refunded or rescheduled.
*NEW* Giraffe Encounter
Sundays – 1:15pm
NEW THIS YEAR! Join us for a unique look at our resident Reticulated giraffe herd. In this brand new encounter, you will have the chance to visit the giraffe barn, chat with our giraffe ACPs, and get a brand new view of our giraffes Willow, Zuri, and Jalil!
Members $50 per person
*Members will need to register or sign-in at the top of the registration page to access member discounted pricing.
Non Members $65 per person
- CAPACITY All encounters are intimate experiences for groups of 6 or fewer.
- ADMISSION Zoo admission is not included in your Behind-the-Scenes Animal Encounter registration.
- AGES Children ages 5 and up are welcome for all Encounters, 12 and under must be accompanied by a paying adult.
- CHANGES Encounter purchases are non-refundable. 24-hour advance notice is required for any changes to your purchase or to reschedule your Encounter. Encounters that are missed without prior notification will not be rescheduled. Any program involving our resident animals is subject to change or cancellation based on the animal’s needs or severe weather. However, every effort will be made to offer alternate areas or reschedule experiences. Tickets may be purchased on-site up to an hour prior to the Experience. Any tours that are cancelled will be refunded or rescheduled.
- ACCESSIBILITY All Behind-the-Scenes Encounters require entering working areas of the Zoo that may not be wheelchair-accessible. Please let us know of any sensory or accessibility needs that need to be accommodated by calling the Education Department at 205-397-3877 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.