Join us on Saturday, April 17 from 10am until 2pm for our annual Farm Day at the Birmingham Zoo! Festivities will take place at Children’s Zoo and features a variety of activities and booths to educate the public about Alabama’s rural and agricultural heritage. Tractors, weaving, and horseshoe-making demonstrations are just a few of the activities you’ll find around the Alabama Barn. Guests to the event will learn how farmers can be good neighbors to some of our local wildlife, including black bears and gopher tortoises. *Farm Day festivities are included in the price of general admission for the day and free for Zoo Members.
10am – 2pm
- Horseshoe making
- Fiber Guild (wool spinning)
- Goat/Sheep hoof trimming
- Booths & Talks
- Alpha Young Farmers
- 4H youth group
- Wildlife talk by Auburn Bear researcher
- Gopher Tortoise Day, more info click HERE
- Pest control
- Bee Keeping
- Interactive Areas
- Adult games
- Name the scat table
- Name the animal table
- Coloring Books
- Alfa Young Farmers
- Spinning wool
Additional things and details going on but done by our staff:
- Gopher Tortoise table from 10am-2pm
- Two (2) visits from Ernie the Gopher Tortoise – tentative times are 11:15am and 1pm
- Sheep Shearing in the Barn at 10:30am and 1:30pm
- Tractors parked in Children’s Zoo for visitors to see
- Goat hoof trimming demo in the Barn at 12pm
- Name the scat and name the animal activity tables from 10am-2pm
**Farm Day and Gopher Tortoise Day festivities are included in Zoo admission for the day!
Purchase general admission and/or reserve free Member tickets, HERE
- Face Masks must be properly worn inside the Zoo during your entire visit, especially while participating in animal encounters.
- All Visitors & Members over the age of six (6) to the Birmingham Zoo will be required to wear face masks for the protection of other animals, staff, and guests.
- Children under six (6) years old are not required to wear face masks
- Zoo Staff are required to wear face masks and maintain other heightened safety protocols
WHY? In accordance with City of Birmingham ordinance mandating the wearing of face masks in public places, the Birmingham Zoo supports efforts to reduce the spread of the novel coronavirus, and we recognize that the best way to prevent the COVID-19 illness is to avoid exposure to the virus. The Birmingham Zoo follows, and expects our guests and members to follow, all applicable government ordinances. *Visitors can purchase face masks at each ticket booth and in our gift shops.