Spring Break Zoo Camp 2018
Adventures in Nature
Join us at the Birmingham Zoo as we explore the fascinating natural world. Zoo Camps are rich in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) exploration and will include up-close encounters with many of our resident animals from around the world. Campers will create crafts, play conservation-focused games, participate in hands-on activities, and have unstructured play time in one of our many playgrounds, including Henley Park and our upcoming Medical Properties Trust Nature Play Space.
March 26-30, 2018
Members: $50 Per Day
Non-Members: $60 Per Day
$5 Per Day
7:30 am – 8:15 am
$10 Per Day
3:30 pm – 5:30 pm
Lunch and snacks are included in the registration fee.
Click here to register your child.
Summer Zoo Camp 2018
We are excited to introduce new Zoo Camp at the Birmingham Zoo! Our summer camps have always been amazing, but this year we have revamped the program to include even more hands-on science, nature play, conservation and ‘zoo-learning’! Our camps are educational and encourage active learning through games, crafts, age-appropriate explorations, and special encounters with a variety of our resident animals. Rich in STEM-based explorations, these camps engage the natural curiosity of a child and allow ample opportunity to practice critical emerging science skills. Learning has never been so much FUN!
June 4th – August 3rd (See Planning Guide for full details)
Registration and Fees:
- PRIMARY CAMPS
- Member Pricing: $260
- Non-Member Pricing: $295
- SPECIALTY CAMPS
- Member Pricing: $290
- Non-Member Pricing: $325
- GRANDPARENT/PARENT CAMP (2 DAY SESSION)
- Member Pricing: $150
- Non-Member Pricing: $180
- FLEX DAYS – a great opportunity for “drop in” days throughout the summer. See Planning Guide for full details.
- Member Pricing: $320
- Non-Member Pricing: $355
- Early Care
- $5 per day
- 7:30am to 8:15am
- Extended Care
- $10 per day
- 3:30pm to 5:30pm
- GRADES 4K – 5th
- NEW! Adventures in Nature – Campers will explore animals, ecosystems, and the wonders of the natural world- in our own backyards and across the globe.
- NEW! The Zoo and You – Discover the science behind zoos and the work we do each day to help animals in our care and in the wild.
- GRADES 6th – 8th
- NEW! Young Naturalists – Through hand-on explorations in nature, young naturalists will gain a better understanding of the world around them and their place in it.
- NEW! Wildlife Researchers – Make unforgettable memories alongside Zoo staff as we take a look at real-world efforts to ensure species and their homes are safe and protected.
- GRADES 4K – 2nd
- NEW! Naturally Gross! – Take a walk on the “wild side” with your grandparent or parent as we learn about some of the grossest, most disgusting features of the natural world! Fee covers both participants.
* Independence Day holiday only
- GRADES 3rd – 5th
- Zoo Keeper – Experience some of the daily duties that go into caring for the animals that call the Zoo home. Campers will interact with Animal Care Professionals and our resident animals while exploring enrichment, animal diets, and more!
- GRADES 6th – 8th
- ZooKeeper – Roll up your sleeves and learn what it’s like to be an Animal Care Professional at the Birmingham Zoo! Campers will take part in many hands-on activities including husbandry, feeding, training, and enrichment.
*Zoo keepers start their day early, so this camp begins at 8:30am on Monday and 7:30am sharp Tuesday-Friday.
- GRADES 9th – 12th
- Animal Wellness – Explore the methods Animal Care and Veterinary Professionals use to ensure our resident animals are happy and healthy. Activities will include demonstrations, behind-the-scenes tours and hands-on opportunities alongside Birmingham Zoo staff.
- NEW! Conservation Connections – With the Zoo as a base camp, we will explore conservation efforts taking place at the Birmingham Zoo and across the world. Campers will conduct observations, collect data, and participate in investigations to answer their own scientific questions.
Click here for the Summer Zoo Camp Planning Guide!
Click here to register your camper!
Full Camp Details
Click here for full camp details.
The Birmingham Zoo is a facility that uses nuts and nut products for animal diet purposes. Traces of nuts or nut products may be found in areas where animal feedings are conducted and areas where Programs and Educational animal demonstrations are performed. The safety of our guests remains a top priority and the Zoo takes precautions to provide a safe environment.
In the Education Programs Department, safety precautions include:
- Teachers are trained to recognize the physical characteristics that indicate an allergic reaction is occurring and proper responses to take when a student has a reaction.
- Teachers are trained to properly use EpiPen.
- Teachers will not offer students any food containing nuts or nut products and all students will be discouraged from bringing snacks/lunches containing nuts or nut products.
- Teachers will ensure that no nuts or nut products are used as any part of class activities (not involving a live animal demonstrations).
For the safety of those who suffer severe nut allergies, parents of children who attend ZooFari Summer Camps are discouraged from sending snacks or lunches with foods that contain or may contain peanuts or tree nuts.