In the Volunteer section:
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Birmingham Zoo. Every year, Adult volunteers contribute thousands of hours to support the staff and animals at the Zoo. The Birmingham Zoo continues to make a difference in the community and provide memorable experiences for visitors of all ages, thanks in large part to the volunteers who support it.
At the current time we are not accepting applications for adult volunteers. Please check back in the Spring of 2014.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and not currently a high school student.
- Must be able to offer a minimum of 60 volunteer hours each year.
- Submit an online application and pay the $10 application fee online with a credit or debit card.
- After your application submission, you will receive a response email. Please follow the directions provided within the email to set up an interview with Volunteer Services.
- If accepted to the Volunteer Program after the interview, volunteers will need to submit a completed packet of required forms (General Release Form, Understanding by Adult Volunteer, Adult Volunteer Arrest and Conviction Notification Agreement, and Background Check) and the $35 Volunteer Orientation Fee (check or exact change only).
- After the volunteer paperwork has been processed (usually within 1-2 weeks), volunteers may sign up to attend a Volunteer Orientation session.
- After completing Orientation, volunteers can dive into the volunteer opportunities available at the Birmingham Zoo!
Interested in becoming a Docent? Click here!
For access to Volgistics, please click here.