This part time Volunteer Coordinator position is responsible for insuring that the operations of the Zoo’s teen volunteer program needs are met. This person recruits, schedules, directs and assigns teen volunteers based on their interest and the needs of the Zoo. The right person will be expected to create and deliver training and provide opportunities for teen volunteers to increase their knowledge, and retain them in the program. Responsibilities also include handling clerical functions of the Zoo Volunteer program, including the Volunteer data base upkeep.
- College degree preferred.
- Previous volunteer program coordination experience preferred.
- Must be goal oriented, highly motivated, and be able to multi-task.
- Must possess excellent customer service, communications, and interpersonal skills.
- Volgistics database experience preferred; training and presentation skills preferred.
- Must be able to work Tuesday-Saturday, must also be flexible to work weekends and some nights during special events.
- The physical demand of this position includes exposure to the outdoor elements and standing, walking for long periods of time.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Human Resources.
Birmingham Zoo, Inc. is accepting applications for 2 paid 3-month interns in the Trails of Africa. This department includes zebra, gazelle, giraffe, ostrich, red river hogs, hippo, rhino, and elephants.
This position will be available June 15-September 15.
Preferred applicants have completed, or are in the process of completing, a degree in animal husbandry, biology, or a related field and are at least 18 years of age. Previous experience working with exotic animals, knowledge of animal husbandry and/or experience with operant conditioning are strongly preferred. Safety is paramount for guests, interns, staff and collection animals; therefore, the intern will be closely monitored by a staff member to ensure safety protocols are being followed at all times. The preferred candidate must be able to easily lift 50 pounds and be willing to work in adverse weather conditions. The preferred candidate also must be able to bend, lift, easily walk Zoo grounds, possess good oral and written communication skills, and have a valid driver’s license. The successful candidate will pass a drug test and background check and must provide documentation of a negative TB test in the past 10 months. Housing will be the responsibility of the intern. Pay rate is $7.50/hour.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting keepers with daily husbandry tasks
- Animal observations
- Observing training sessions
- Providing enrichment to the collection animals
- Performing keeper chats
- Working after-hours events
Please submit applications no later than May 17, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the link to download an employment application.
Please send resumes to:
2630 Cahaba Road
Birmingham, Alabama 35223
Please note that submitting an application does not guarantee an personal interview. The application is an initial part of the interview process.
The Birmingham Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and drug-free facility.