Manager, Education Programs (Full Time)
The Education Programs Manager fills a critical role within the zoo’s mission to … inspire passion for the natural world. This position is responsible for administering all of the department’s programs, events and general operations; will also develop and monitor budgets.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field (Master’s preferred)
- 2-3 years’ Experience in education setting
- Minimum of two years’ experience with educational program development, curriculum development and implementation, best practice instructional techniques, and supervision
- Preferred teaching philosophy aligned with interdisciplinary teaching, outdoor/environmental education, inquiry-based learning, and child development
- Must be goal oriented, highly motivated, and be able to multi-task
- Must possess excellent leadership, communications, collaborative and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with technology
- Grant writing experience preferred
- Participates in long term planning, goal setting, and budgeting for all educational programs.
- Collaborates with Education Department staff to develop, implement, coordinate, and evaluate curriculum to be used throughout the Zoo.
- Works collaboratively with all departments incorporate educational messages in all areas of the Zoo.
- Hires, supervises and evaluates full-time, part-time, volunteer educators, and contract Education Department staff.
- Continually evaluates and improves existing educational programs and implements new innovative educational programs to advance the mission of the Zoo.
- Develops on- and off-site education programs based on state and national standards using current education methodology.
- Teaches classes and other education program as needed.
- Researches and writes for the membership newsletter and other publications as requested. Also researches, writes Grants.
- Attends seminars and makes presentations to various boards, committees and civic organizations in an effort to advance the mission of the Zoo.
- Works proactively to advance a team spirit and positive work climate among Zoo employees and closely monitors the morale of staff and takes appropriate action to resolve issues.
Please submit resume and cover letter to HR@BirminghamZoo.com
The Birmingham Zoo’s Education Department offers comprehensive educational programming available for preschool classes and homeschool classes for elementary and secondary students.
The part time Class Teacher position is responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating age-appropriate curricula and daily lesson designs, as well as delivering the course.
Some of the duties include:
- Planning and implementing a program of instruction adhering to the Zoo’s mission, philosophy, goals and objectives, as outlined.
- Writes curriculum for all educational programs.
- Makes purposeful and appropriate lesson designs that provide for effective teaching strategies.
- Creates a classroom environment conducive to learning by employing a variety of appropriate teaching strategies.
- Encourages student enthusiasm for the learning process and the development of good classroom habits.
- Must be willing to be trained with Programs animals.
- Assists in managing attractions for special events (e.g. Boo at the Zoo, Zoo Lights Safari).
The Class Teacher is impacted by hazardous exposures common to public safety in an outdoor environment. Exposure to the elements can be expected.
- College Degree in elementary education is preferred.
- Teaching background must be in elementary or early-childhood education.
- Experience in tasks related to customer service is preferred.
- Preferred teaching philosophy aligned with interdisciplinary teaching, outdoor/environmental education, problem-based learning, and child development
- Must be goal oriented, highly motivated, and be able to multi-task.
- Must possess excellent leadership, interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Requires a strong ability to work in a team oriented atmosphere.
Send resumes and salary expectations to HR@BirminghamZoo.com
The Birmingham Zoo is hiring a full-time veterinary technician.
- Participation and management of the cases under supervision of the veterinarians;
- Participation in necropsies and anesthesia;
- Ensuring medical records are kept up to date and that anesthetic data, blood work results, fecal results, or other laboratory test results are entered into the medical records system;
- Preparing medications, obtaining and submitting laboratory samples, obtaining, processing, and filing radiographs;
- Performing necessary medical treatments for animals within the collection.
- Must be a licensed CVT or LVT with experience in exotics and zoo animals;
- Membership in AZA, AAZK preferred;
- Must have a current, valid Driver’s License;
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Must be a team player.
If interested, please email your resume, cover letter, and list of references to HR@birminghamzoo.com
This position is responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring the strategic promotional plan for the Birmingham Zoo, Inc., Membership Sales Program.
- Partners with BZI personnel to develop and implement Membership Plans at both individual and corporate levels.
- Coordinates efforts through Marketing, Customer Service Development and Finance departments to achieve over-all Plan goals.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to create and develop promotional packages
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 2010, especially Excel.
- B.S. degree in Business, Sales or Marketing or minimum 3 years equivalent experience
- Supervisory experience preferred
If interested, please submit resume and cover letter to HR@birminghamzoo.com
Click the link to download an employment application.
Please send resumes to:
2630 Cahaba Road
Birmingham, Alabama 35223
Please note that submitting an application does not guarantee an personal interview. The application is an initial part of the interview process.
The Birmingham Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and drug-free facility.