Zoo School Teacher (Full Time)
Responsibilities include the day-to-day instruction of students attending ZooSchool but will also be involved in other Zoo educational programming. The teacher will ensure that the materials, supplies, crafts, and activities are prepared for each day. The teacher is responsible for the instruction and care of the students in their charge, and the implementation of and continued development of the curriculum. This position requires a strong ability to work in a team-oriented atmosphere. This position will require working with principals and teachers from participating schools, student assessment, analyzing data, gathering information, and writing reports.
- Certified teacher in the state of Alabama, or able to obtain teaching certification in the state of Alabama.
- Preferred teaching background in science education
- Preferred teaching philosophy aligned with interdisciplinary teaching, outdoor/environmental education, problem-based learning, and child development
- Must be goal-oriented, highly motivated, able to multi-task and collaborate with others
- Excellent leadership, organizational, interpersonal oral and written communication skills
- A significant amount of time will be spent outdoors; exposure to the elements can be expected.
Please submit resume and cover letter to HR@BirminghamZoo.com
The Controller responsibilities include coordinating and leading the account functions and staff, including daily receivables, cash management, banking and reporting functions. Does month-end close outs; manages bank accounts to assure monthly reconciliations and cash management, also manages the payroll function.
- Must have an Accounting Degree, CPA preferred;
- ADP payroll processing experience preferred;
- Must have worked with and have knowledge of Great Plains;
- Will only consider applicants with at least 5 years’ experience as a Controller and as a supervisor.
Send resume to HR@BirminghamZoo.com
The Birmingham Zoo is hiring a full-time veterinary technician.
- Participation and management of the cases under supervision of the veterinarians;
- Participation in necropsies and anesthesia;
- Ensuring medical records are kept up to date and that anesthetic data, blood work results, fecal results, or other laboratory test results are entered into the medical records system;
- Preparing medications, obtaining and submitting laboratory samples, obtaining, processing, and filing radiographs;
- Performing necessary medical treatments for animals within the collection.
- Must be a licensed CVT or LVT with experience in exotics and zoo animals;
- Membership in AZA, AAZK preferred;
- Must have a current, valid Driver’s License;
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Must be a team player.
If interested, please email your resume, cover letter, and list of references to HR@birminghamzoo.com
This position is responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring the strategic promotional plan for the Birmingham Zoo, Inc., Membership Sales Program.
- Partners with BZI personnel to develop and implement Membership Plans at both individual and corporate levels.
- Coordinates efforts through Marketing, Customer Service Development and Finance departments to achieve over-all Plan goals.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to create and develop promotional packages
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 2010, especially Excel.
- B.S. degree in Business, Sales or Marketing or minimum 3 years equivalent experience
- Supervisory experience preferred
If interested, please submit resume and cover letter to HR@birminghamzoo.com
The Zoo is looking for a responsible, mature adult (over 21 years of age) to drive the Zoo Train as well as narrate the train tour of the Zoo. This is a full time position, days and hours will vary. Must have a current, valid driver’s license with no recent traffic violations. Must be comfortable interacting with the public and conducting the train tours. Mechanical experience is a plus, but not necessary. To apply, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Birmingham Zoo is seeking applicants for an animal keeper position in the Primate Department. Under the direction of the Zoological Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing a high level of animal care including, but not limited to, monitoring animal health, maintaining cleanliness of animal areas, providing environmental and behavioral enrichment , preparing diets, modifying exhibits, keeping accurate records, and presenting both formally and informally for the public. The candidate must be a motivated self-starter that is enthusiastic and team oriented. This position requires a team player capable of positive interactions with staff, guests, and volunteers.
Candidate should have basic knowledge of the management of captive primate populations, including related AZA conservation programs, along with good decision making skills. Experience working with great apes preferred. They must be able to provide proof of a negative TB test, valid within 6 months. Must be able to work under challenging physical conditions and perform strenuous duties in extreme weather. Candidate must be able to lift 50 pounds. A bachelor’s degree in a relevant biological field and a minimum of one years’ experience with exotics is required. The Birmingham Zoo is an EOE and drug free work place. The candidate must be able to obtain a valid Alabama State driver’s license within 30 days of hire. To apply please email, cover letter, resume and salary requirements to HR@birminghamzoo.com
Click the link to download an employment application.
Please send resumes to:
2630 Cahaba Road
Birmingham, Alabama 35223
Please note that submitting an application does not guarantee an personal interview. The application is an initial part of the interview process.
The Birmingham Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and drug-free facility.