Manager, Education Programs (Full Time)
The Education Programs Manager fills a critical role within the zoo’s mission to … inspire passion for the natural world. This position is responsible for administering all of the department’s programs, events and general operations; will also develop and monitor budgets.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field (Master’s preferred)
- 2-3 years’ Experience in education setting
- Minimum of two years’ experience with educational program development, curriculum development and implementation, best practice instructional techniques, and supervision
- Preferred teaching philosophy aligned with interdisciplinary teaching, outdoor/environmental education, inquiry-based learning, and child development
- Must be goal oriented, highly motivated, and be able to multi-task
- Must possess excellent leadership, communications, collaborative and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with technology
- Grant writing experience preferred
- Participates in long term planning, goal setting, and budgeting for all educational programs.
- Collaborates with Education Department staff to develop, implement, coordinate, and evaluate curriculum to be used throughout the Zoo.
- Works collaboratively with all departments incorporate educational messages in all areas of the Zoo.
- Hires, supervises and evaluates full-time, part-time, volunteer educators, and contract Education Department staff.
- Continually evaluates and improves existing educational programs and implements new innovative educational programs to advance the mission of the Zoo.
- Develops on- and off-site education programs based on state and national standards using current education methodology.
- Teaches classes and other education program as needed.
- Researches and writes for the membership newsletter and other publications as requested. Also researches, writes Grants.
- Attends seminars and makes presentations to various boards, committees and civic organizations in an effort to advance the mission of the Zoo.
- Works proactively to advance a team spirit and positive work climate among Zoo employees and closely monitors the morale of staff and takes appropriate action to resolve issues.
Please submit resume and cover letter to HR@BirminghamZoo.com
The Controller responsibilities include coordinating and leading the account functions and staff, including daily receivables, cash management, banking and reporting functions. Does month-end close outs; manages bank accounts to assure monthly reconciliations and cash management, also manages the payroll function.
- Must have an Accounting Degree, CPA preferred;
- ADP payroll processing experience preferred;
- Must have worked with and have knowledge of Great Plains;
- Will only consider applicants with at least 5 years’ experience as a Controller and as a supervisor.
Send resume to HR@BirminghamZoo.com
The Birmingham Zoo is hiring a full-time veterinary technician.
- Participation and management of the cases under supervision of the veterinarians;
- Participation in necropsies and anesthesia;
- Ensuring medical records are kept up to date and that anesthetic data, blood work results, fecal results, or other laboratory test results are entered into the medical records system;
- Preparing medications, obtaining and submitting laboratory samples, obtaining, processing, and filing radiographs;
- Performing necessary medical treatments for animals within the collection.
- Must be a licensed CVT or LVT with experience in exotics and zoo animals;
- Membership in AZA, AAZK preferred;
- Must have a current, valid Driver’s License;
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Must be a team player.
If interested, please email your resume, cover letter, and list of references to HR@birminghamzoo.com
This position is responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring the strategic promotional plan for the Birmingham Zoo, Inc., Membership Sales Program.
- Partners with BZI personnel to develop and implement Membership Plans at both individual and corporate levels.
- Coordinates efforts through Marketing, Customer Service Development and Finance departments to achieve over-all Plan goals.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to create and develop promotional packages
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 2010, especially Excel.
- B.S. degree in Business, Sales or Marketing or minimum 3 years equivalent experience
- Supervisory experience preferred
If interested, please submit resume and cover letter to HR@birminghamzoo.com
Click the link to download an employment application.
Please send resumes to:
2630 Cahaba Road
Birmingham, Alabama 35223
Please note that submitting an application does not guarantee an personal interview. The application is an initial part of the interview process.
The Birmingham Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and drug-free facility.