Manager, Education Programs (Full Time)
The Education Programs Manager fills a critical role within the zoo’s mission to … inspire passion for the natural world. This position is responsible for administering all of the department’s programs, events and general operations; will also develop and monitor budgets.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field (Master’s preferred)
- 2-3 years’ Experience in education setting
- Minimum of two years’ experience with educational program development, curriculum development and implementation, best practice instructional techniques, and supervision
- Preferred teaching philosophy aligned with interdisciplinary teaching, outdoor/environmental education, inquiry-based learning, and child development
- Must be goal oriented, highly motivated, and be able to multi-task
- Must possess excellent leadership, communications, collaborative and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with technology
- Grant writing experience preferred
- Participates in long term planning, goal setting, and budgeting for all educational programs.
- Collaborates with Education Department staff to develop, implement, coordinate, and evaluate curriculum to be used throughout the Zoo.
- Works collaboratively with all departments incorporate educational messages in all areas of the Zoo.
- Hires, supervises and evaluates full-time, part-time, volunteer educators, and contract Education Department staff.
- Continually evaluates and improves existing educational programs and implements new innovative educational programs to advance the mission of the Zoo.
- Develops on- and off-site education programs based on state and national standards using current education methodology.
- Teaches classes and other education program as needed.
- Researches and writes for the membership newsletter and other publications as requested. Also researches, writes Grants.
- Attends seminars and makes presentations to various boards, committees and civic organizations in an effort to advance the mission of the Zoo.
- Works proactively to advance a team spirit and positive work climate among Zoo employees and closely monitors the morale of staff and takes appropriate action to resolve issues.
Please submit resume and cover letter to HR@BirminghamZoo.com
Now taking applications for temporary seasonal workers in the Visitors Services area for Boo at the Zoo (October) and Zoolight Safari (December). Must be willing to work flexible weekend day and evening hours. Will be working outdoors in the elements and stand for long periods of time. High energy, excellent customer services skills and the ability to interact with a diverse group of visitors a must.
Send resume to HR@BirminghamZoo.com
This position is responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring the strategic promotional plan for the Birmingham Zoo, Inc., Membership Sales Program.
- Partners with BZI personnel to develop and implement Membership Plans at both individual and corporate levels.
- Coordinates efforts through Marketing, Customer Service Development and Finance departments to achieve over-all Plan goals.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to create and develop promotional packages
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 2010, especially Excel.
- B.S. degree in Business, Sales or Marketing or minimum 3 years equivalent experience
- Supervisory experience preferred
If interested, please submit resume and cover letter to HR@birminghamzoo.com
Click the link to download an employment application.
Please send resumes to:
2630 Cahaba Road
Birmingham, Alabama 35223
Please note that submitting an application does not guarantee an personal interview. The application is an initial part of the interview process.
The Birmingham Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and drug-free facility.