In the Education section:
Have you ever dreamed of being a Zookeeper? Here is your chance to work behind the scenes with a real Zookeeper and discover this rich and rewarding career. You will spend the day working alongside a keeper, experiencing how to prepare animal diets, clean up, and interact with the animals. Learn about animal husbandry techniques and much more about the inner workings of the Birmingham Zoo.
- All attendees must meet the age requirements at the time of participation.
- Dates are limited.
- All registrations must occur at least three weeks in advance and are based upon availability.
- Programs are limited to one participant/program/day.
- Please call about special requests.
For further details and information, please click the Info Packet button below.
The Birmingham Zoo has two exciting programs that offer unique behind the scenes experiences:
Children’s Zoo Zookeeper for a Day: Ages 8 to 14 year olds
Get ready to go to work in the Children’s Zoo barn. You may be asked to lift and carry tools, animal food, hay and other items.
Please note: You will get dirty! You typically remain with the same Children’s Zookeeper during the day, while also interacting with other Children’s Zookeepers in this program.
Bird Department Zookeeper for a Day: Ages 12 years to adults
Explore the fascinating world of birds at the Birmingham Zoo. Assist in the care of more than 80 species which reside here. Discover species you may have never before seen as help keepers care for them. By the end of the day, you’ll be sure to have some new feathery favorites.
Reptile Department Zookeeper for a Day: Ages 12 years to adults
Discover the amazing diversity of reptiles at the Birmingham Zoo. Assist in the care of giant Aldabra tortoises as well as the smaller reptiles in the Reptile Building. Learn all about the scaly residents from around the world as you help care for them.
Please note: This program will not include interaction with venomous or potentially dangerous reptiles.
Africa Department Zookeeper for a Day: Ages 16 years to adults
This new program gives you the authentic zookeeper experience. Join keepers in cleaning the giraffe and Savanna areas. Bring your boots and get ready for some hard work in this very physical Zookeeper for a Day experience. Join in the fun of bringing the giraffes into the barn for their morning meal and meet one of the giraffes up close. Participate and learn about a variety of other activities that the zookeepers must do every day to keep these African animals safe and healthy.
Questions and Reservations:
If you have questions about the Zookeeper for a Day Program, or if you would like to reserve a date, the Education Department is here to help!
Please contact Carrie Brooks at 205-397-3864 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Birmingham Zoo is a facility that uses nuts and nut products for animal diet purposes. Traces of nuts or nut products may be found in areas where animal feedings are conducted and areas where Programs and Educational animal demonstrations are performed. The safety of our guests remains a top priority and the Zoo takes precautions to provide a safe environment.
In the Education Programs Department, safety precautions include:
- Teachers are trained to recognize the physical characteristics that indicate an allergic reaction is occurring and proper responses to take when a student has a reaction.
- Teachers are trained to properly use EpiPen.
- Teachers will not offer students any food containing nuts or nut products and all students will be discouraged from bringing snacks/lunches containing nuts or nut products.
- Teachers will ensure that no nuts or nut products are used as any part of class activities (not involving a live animal demonstrations).